9.08.2015

Motherhood Right Now

There's a line from a movie that perfectly encapsulates the way I'm thinking and feeling about my children right now.


"She was a unique constellation of attributes... my Halley's comet."


This is exactly what each of my children are: a constellation of unique attributes, each one a Halley's comet in my life. 




Daily life is busy.  Memory books are woefully outdated, my blogs (like this one!) are waning because of my inability to string together coherent thoughts, and, truthfully, picture books are the only things that are lagging by a only a few months.  

I'm not quite the record keeper I want to be, mostly because we're busy living and loving.  But, I look at my children often and marvel at the singleness of who they are as individuals, people who have never existed on this earth before now and who will never exist again.  I look at them as they grow and learn and begin to express their inborn uniqueness and am continually (and often newly) amazed.  

I think often about what I want for them.  Like a lot of parents, M and I talk and dream about what they might decide to Do for work or as a profession or even artistic expression.  But we also talk about who we want them to Be.  And, really, I think that Being is way more important than Doing.   

Much like Halley's comet, I hope to help each of my children achieve the brightest and fullest expression of their truest, most vibrant selves.

It is humbling and wonderful to be able to be part of this process.  They are amazing and sweet and funny and, if I'm paying attention, our crazy daily life is filled with hundreds of small, glittery glimpses of who these little people are becoming.

~Nichole

No comments:

"May you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world." -Ray Bradbury